Academic Tips Week 1 -- Reading Paper texts, and Dyslexia and ADHD

Academic Tips Week 1 -- Reading Paper texts, and Dyslexia and ADHD

by Gordon Cain -
Number of replies: 0

Hi all DBT Students,

Week 1 of the DBT is underway. I am Gordon Cain, and I am the Academic Support Coordinator for students at Moore College. I also support your DBT tutors as they look after each of you.

This semester I am going to post a link (or two) to a resource I’ve written. These resources cover important tips and tricks for academic work, and hopefully will guide you into better academic work, away from lower grades, and towards knowing and serving our Lord better.

I aim to write all these in a chatty, easy-to-read style, and to keep each under 1000 words, so you can read them in just a couple minutes.

Finally, feel free to comment and discuss these under each post (and please keep all posts respectful, warm-hearted, and addressing your fellow-students.) And if you need academic support or have questions on how to do your DBT work, please take them to your tutors. I support your tutors, and they support you.

This week I have two links for you:

The first is on reading, because the DBT course is largely a reading course. So reading even more skillfully is vital to getting the most out of your studies here. This post covers the general principles of reading, and of reading printed texts. (Did you know that we read electronic texts very differently from printed texts? Next week, I will send you my post on reading e-texts more effectively. But it’s important to get this one under your belt first.)

So much to read, so much to learn -- Part 1 General Reading Skills

And because so many students face so many different challenges:

ADHD, dyslexia, and read-aloud software

This covers ADHD and dyslexia as well as read-aloud software, which many of us could use at times.

And if you live and work with dyslexia, ADHD, or other similar challenges, please let your tutor know. And if you have wisdom and tips from successfully negotiating any of these, please shoot me an email -- I'd love to learn from you.

Warmly in Jesus

Gordon